Tuesday 18 February 2014

29 Faces Day Day 18


I'm a little behind, I've not posted since Saturday.  Feeling emotionally and physically tired this morning  I decided to dedicate a little time to "catching up".




This is my translation of Jane Goodall, a British primatologist, ethologist, anthropoligst and UN Messenger of Peace. Considered to be the world's foremost expert on chimpanzees, she is best known for her 45-year study of social and family interactions of wild chimpanzees in Gombe Stream National Park, Tanzania.

This sketch does not do her justice at all really and the more closely I look at it, the more chimpanzee I see in it.

I feel this is a total disaster, it's meant to be Nigella Lawson but I was unable to catch her essence, I feel this was due to me not being in the "right space" for sketching faces.

Finally, I went back to Matisse for inspiration, this is my translation of Marguerite. I enjoyed this sketch, I fee like I have captured an essence of his work. I realised that I am not so much interested in capturing an accurate likeness, but an essence, which are two different things.  I usually consider myself not very good at drawing noses, yet with this sketch, the nose turned out to be OK, I'm not sure why that is?.....maybe because I enjoyed this sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment